Chas has been involved in philanthropy his whole life... from his first involvement with a Adopt-A-Brick campaign for the Maryland Science Center in the 1970's to all the various work and client projects over the years. He now serves is president and owner of the firm of ForwardMiller LLC, and he over 30 years of experience working with non-profit organizations. Today, he takes on clients with ForwardMiller, and he acts as the part-time Executive Director of Sir John Soane’s Museum Foundation. And until recently, Mr. Miller also served as Senior Consultant at Columbia University’s Office of University Programs and Events in the Office of the President.
Prior to launching ForwardMiller in 1994, he worked at the American Academy in Rome in the development office and played a major role in coordinating all aspects of their 1994 Centennial celebrations in Washington, DC, New York, and Rome. Before joining the staff of the American Academy, he worked with the National Trust for Historic Preservation in Washington, DC.
Regarding philanthropy, Chas has a broad range of experience and knowledge in dealing with donations, targeted solicitations, and giving opportunities. Having worked in communities from Washington, DC to upstate New York and from the Connecticut Valley to the Hamptons, and now Rhode Island, he has the unique perspective of someone actively involved with not-for-profit organizations and philanthropy. His personal involvement includes:
- counseling over 60 organizations on special events, fund-raising and positioning;
- serving as the Executive Director of a private foundation, plus serves as Trustee to 4 private trusts;
- when living in the Hudson Valley and Northwestern Connecticut, Mr. Miller served as a member of the Board of Trustees to The Olana Partnership, the Northwest Connecticut Arts Council and was a member on one of the funding committees of the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation. Mr. Miller continues to work with The Olana Partnership, serving on their Curatorial Committee and Emeritus Council.
- former chair of the Advisory Board of the Hudson Opera House, Inc., a continuing renovation project and cultural development program for an historic 1855 civic building in the town of Hudson (Columbia County), New York; - member of the Council on Foundations, New York Regional Association of Grantmakers (NYRAG) and Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy (EPIP);
- supporting over 75 organizations with ongoing membership support.
To read more about some of these organizations, please go to: